Swami Vivekananda says,
“Education is the manifestation of perfection already in man”.
Indian culture and spirituality together form the backbone of India and they are to be nourished and passed on to generations. Human Excellence aims at imparting a vision of Indian culture, Ethics, Values and Spiritual concepts in a modern way to the youth through scientific and rational approach.
Human Excellence is a man – making process towards achieving Good health, Sound mind, Intellectual sharpness and Character building among the youth. This integrated approach will result in individual peace and prosperity leading to Social, National and Global peace and prosperity by unfolding the hidden potentials of the youth.
The visionary Saint Swami Ranganathananda, who made the concept of Human Excellence known to Indian Educationalists says, “A new concept of Human Excellence must inspire our youths so that, on entering a college or a University, they will learn the need and the technique of seeking excellence in different fields according to their capacity. And how many are the varieties of Excellence intellectual, social, political, artistic and religious. Which way is it to be developed in India? It is these multi-faceted excellences indeed that go to make a Nation great. Excellence is the correct prescription for India today.
Profile of the Human Excellence Department
The Chairman of our college, the late. Arutchelvar Dr. N. Mahalingam says that if a student is to be endowed with intellect and creativity, he/she should be inculcated with ethics and culture education in addition to regular syllabus at the educational institutions.
The President of our college, Dr.B.K.Krishnaraj Vanavarayar with great efforts introduced “Ethics and Culture Course” in our college curriculum with the objective of Character building.
With the blessings of Swami Ranganathandha, Vice President of Sri Ramakrishna muth, “Ethics and Culture Course was introduced for Six semesters at the under graduate degree courses when the college became autonomous in 1987.
University Grants Commission commended the Ethics and Culture Course as “NGM Model”.
In 2006 “Ethics and Culture Course” was rechristened as “Human Excellence Education”.
Human Excellence Education teaches the youths:
- Human Excellence Education empowers the youth with entrepreneurship, leadership, self-confidence, probity, perseverance, hard work, business acumen, social responsibility, love, affection, compassion, ethical and patriotic awareness.
- Six values such as (i) Personal values (ii) Family values (iii) Professional values (iv) Social values (v) National values and (vi) Global values are incorporated in the syllabus.
- Swami Vivekanandha’s concept of man-making strategies, Bharathiya Vidhya Bhavan’s contributions and Swami Vethathiri Maharishi’s perspectives of enriching the body, mind, and spirit through physical exercise, Yoga, Meditation and Kayakalpa exercise are incorporated in the enriched syllabus.
- Modern youths are dynamic and diligent but the education they obtain in the educational institutions does not ensure a life of tranquility and peace.
- Integrating Intelligent Quotient, Emotional Quotient and Spiritual Quotient resulting in Human Excellence.
Highlights of the Human Excellence Course
- Integrated into the curriculum under Part IV
- Extended to more than 5000 Students
- Six Values are taught in 6 Semesters
- Text books for each value
- Qualified resource persons
- Adequate infrastructure facilities
- Physical Exercises, Kayakalpa Exercises, Meditation and Introspection are taught to students.
- Periodical Evaluation system is adopted
- Academic schedules based on a time table
Modern Instruments and Equipment:
- Blood Pressure apparatus
- Height and Weight Measuring Units
- Computer with Internet facility
- Department Library
- Downloaded Videos and PPT’s
- Record Note – book for Practical Examination
- LCD Projector
- Google Class room / Kahoot (Digital teaching tools)