NGM an Institution engaged in providing quality education to the youth has been growing consistently spreading its wings far and wide to offer a variety of educational programmes under one roof for over 55 years.
To provide facilities for higher education for students from high schools of Pollachi and Udumalpet Taluks, an organisation called “Pollachi Kalvi Kazhagam” was constituted in 1957 under the Presidentship of Shri S.P. Nallamuthu Gounder and the Secretaryship of Arutchelvar Dr. N. Mahalingam. The organisation took efforts to establish a College at Pollachi. Shri C. Subramaniam, former Minister of Finance evinced keen interest in this venture.
On the auspicious day of 12th July 1957 the College was opened by the Chief Donor Thiru S.P. Nallamuthu Gounder in the august presence of Arutchelva Dr. N. Mahalingam and started functioning in a sprawling campus of 26 acres and a strength of 160 students in the Pre-University Course. The College was upgraded into a Degree College in July 1959. The College began to spread its wings of progress with the introduction of co-education in the year 1975. All the Degree Courses have been semesterised since 1976. The College blossomed into a premier Institution of Post Graduate in 1979.
The Silver Jubilee of the institution was celebrated in all splendour in February 1984. Autonomy was conferred to our College by UGC in 1987. In the same year a novel component Value Education christened as Ethics and Culture for all UG Programmes was introduced. In 1994 the UGC offered Vocationalisation of degree programmes in a few departments. All the buildings and staff rooms are provided with Internet and Intranet facilities. In 2004, Choice Based Credit System was introduced. Our Institution has been awarded with ISO 9001:2000 Certification by the TUV. The NAAC has awarded ‘A’ grade in March, 2007. NGM College is one of the oldest Colleges in Tamil Nadu which celebrated its Golden Jubilee with traditional fervour and enthusiasm in July 2007.
NGM College has been developed into a premier Postgraduate teaching and Research Institution, offering 41 different programmes including UG, PG and Research. The College has 228 staff members and 2600 students. With the opening and dedication of the New Centres – Dr. N. Mahalingam Centre for Research and Development, Nallamuthu Gounder Centre for Commerce and Management Studies, Sri S.P. Krishnaswamy Gounder Science Block, it has become a Centre of National Importance under the benign care of the beloved Patron Arutchelvar Dr. N. Mahalingam, President Dr. B.K. Krishnaraj Vanavarayar, Vice-President Dr. S. Murugaiyan, Secretary Shri M.Balasubramaniam and Treasurer Shri S. Sivakumar. The Academic Excellence, high Research Potential, noteworthy Extension Services and valuable Placements are the outcome of the – Enlightened Management, Enriched Faculty and Energetic Students.